How to get a student visa for Australia

Sekuir Migration assists many people to apply for student visas for Australia

At Sekuir Migration, we receive many enquiries about how to get a student visa for Australia. Studying in Australia is a great way to experience our country while gaining valuable skills, but many potential students are overwhelmed by the visa application process.

The kinds of questions we frequently answer are:

  • What can I study in Australia?
  • How long can I study in Australia?
  • Can you help me find an education provider?
  • What are the eligibility requirements for me to get a student visa for Australia?
  • How much money do I need to student visa for Australia?
  • After I finish my course, what are my options for staying in Australia?

Where to start with studying in Australia

The first step toward becoming a student in Australia is to decide what you want to study, and at what education provider.

The types of courses that you may be able to undertake and be eligible for a student visa include:

  • English Courses (General English, IELTS preparation etc.)
  • Vocational Courses (Business, Marketing, Tourism, Sport & Fitness, Hospitality etc.)
  • University Courses (Bachelor’s Degree, Masters and PhD)

These courses can be short courses of one to three months or longer courses such as degrees and postgraduate qualifications requiring years of study.

If you need help finding the right course or education provider, a migration agent can help you to make a good choice.  There are also a number of resources online to help with this.

Making your student visa application

Once you have established which course you are interested in and which education provider you’ll undertake your studies with, it is important that you allow plenty of time and plan ahead.

The next step is to apply for entry into the course of your choosing and to ensure that you meet the entry requirements for both the course and the student visa. Again, a migration agent will make this process much easier.

Eligibility requirements for student visas can vary, so it is important to check these. You must also check that you’ve got all the documentation ready and the correct visa application forms for your circumstances.

Once you have received your letter of offer from your education provider, the time is right to make your visa application.

The Australian Department of Home Affairs has reported very high demand for student visas and has advised that a minimum of six weeks is required for application processing.

Funds required for applicants for student visas

Australia requires applicants from certain countries applying for student visas to have enough funds that is genuinely available to pay for course fees, travel and living costs for the student and their accompanying family members while in Australia. From 1 February 2018, people applying for student visas will have to show evidence of sufficient funds:

  • Main Student or Guardian: $20,290 (up from $19,830)
  • Partner or Spouse: $7,100 (up from $6,940)
  • Per Child: $3,040 (up from $2,970)

Options for students who have completed their studies in Australia

Once you’ve finished your studies, you have a number of options:

  • return to your home country
  • undertake further studies
  • extend your stay in Australia
  • apply for residency in Australia.

If you plan to undertake further studies you must:

  • apply for a new student visa before your current visa expires
  • make sure you have enough money to continue paying for your studies and living expenses
  • apply for your chosen course by the deadline.

If you finish your studies in Australia and decide you’d like to extend you stay, you may be eligible for one of the following options:

  • a tourist visa
  • a work visa  (such as under the employer nomination scheme)
  • a working holiday visa
  • a temporary graduate visa.

You may also be eligible to apply for permanent residency in Australia under through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s SkillSelect migration program, which could lead to permanent residency through a Skilled Independent Visa, the Employer Nomination Scheme or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.

Contact us for a free student visa consultation

If you’re considering coming to Australia to study, you may be eligible for a free visa consultation.

To enquire about this service, contact us and tell us a bit about yourself.

Please note that to be eligible for a free consultation with us you must be able to speak English.